Students wearing SJC gear in the courtyard smiling

SJC Foundation Highlights

A Grand Opening! 30th Street Education Center Expands Opportunities to Enhance Success

Posted on January 8, 2020 by San Juan College Marketing and Public Relations



Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting for 30th St Education Center - San Juan College

In December, San Juan College welcomed the community to a grand opening and ribbon cutting of the newly renovated 30th Street Education Center.

“Along with housing some of the community centered programs and college departments, this beautiful new education center is where students of all ages can take the next step to enhance their own personal success,” said San Juan College President, Dr. Toni Hopper Pendergrass.

SJC receiving plaque after ribbon cutting and everyone smiling and celebrating“Whether a student is working to achieve a high school equivalency degree, a business looking to enhance employees’ professional development, or a community member wanting to add personal enrichment to their life, the 30th Street Education Center is all a part of our focus to be responsive to the needs and enrichment of our community,” continues Dr. Pendergrass.

“It is exciting to see this amazing building being used again,” said San Juan College Chairman of the Board of Trustees, John Thompson.  “All the right things came together to make this work for the College through our partnership with Farmington Municipal Schools.”

San Juan College owns 53 percent of the 30th Street Education Center, and Farmington Municipal Schools owns the remaining 47 percent. The College occupies the second and third floors, while the school district operates the first and fourth floors.

“Collaborative ventures like this appropriately leverage our communities’ resources,” says Edward DesPlas, San Juan College Executive Vice President.

Grand Opening Man Clapping, Dr. Pendergrass and Mr. ThompsonThe San Juan College Center for Workforce Development, the Community Learning Center, the Office of Institutional Research and Strategic Planning, Marketing and Public Relations, the ACE Center (adult basic education)ENLACE and the Veterinary Technology program will be located in the new facility. 

The College Board room and work session space have also been relocated to the 30th Street Education Center.  The ribbon cutting was followed by a reception, tours of the new Center.  In addition, the first Board work session and meeting were conducted in the new permanent location. 

“It is obvious with the completion of a project this extensive – Success truly Matters at San Juan College,” Dr. Pendergrass said.